good will hunting quote


Sean: You're just a kid, you don't have the
faintest idea what you're talkin' about.
Will: Why thank you.
Sean: It's all right. You've never been out of
Boston.
Will: Nope.
Sean: So if I asked you about art, you'd
probably give me the skinny on every art book
ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot
about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him
and the pope, sexual orientations, the whole
works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what
it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never
actually stood there and looked up at that
beautiful ceiling; seen that. If I ask you about
women, you'd probably give me a syllabus
about your personal favorites. You may have
even been laid a few times. But you can't tell
me what it feels like to wake up next to a
woman and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid.
And I'd ask you about war, you'd probably
throw Shakespeare at me, right, "once more
unto the breach dear friends." But you've never
been near one. You've never held your best
friend's head in your lap, watch him gasp his
last breath looking to you for help. I'd ask you
about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet.
But you've never looked at a woman and been
totally vulnerable. Known someone that could
level you with her eyes, feeling like God put an
angel on earth just for you. Who could rescue
you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn't
know what it's like to be her angel, to have that
love for her, be there forever, through anything,
through cancer. And you wouldn't know about
sleeping sitting up in the hospital room for two
months, holding her hand, because the doctors
could see in your eyes, that the terms "visiting
hours" don't apply to you. You don't know
about real loss, 'cause it only occurs when
you've loved something more than you love
yourself. And I doubt you've ever dared to love
anybody that much. And look at you... I don't
see an intelligent, confident man... I see a
cocky, scared shitless kid. But you're a genius
Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly
understand the depths of you. But you presume
to know everything about me because you saw
a painting of mine, and you ripped my fucking
life apart. You're an orphan right?
[Will nods]
Sean: You think I know the first thing about
how hard your life has been, how you feel, who
you are, because I read Oliver Twist? Does that
encapsulate you? Personally... I don't give a shit
about all that, because you know what, I can't
learn anything from you, I can't read in some
fuckin' book. Unless you want to talk about you,
who you are. Then I'm fascinated. I'm in. But
you don't want to do that do you sport? You're
terrified of what you might say. Your move,
chief.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment